I’m not sure why Fall is the perfect season for a messenger bag…perhaps it’s because this style is bold enough stand out from an outfit that’s packed with layers and accessories? Or because we need somewhere to stow our gloves, hats, chap stick, and tissues? Or maybe just because I said so? Whatever the reason, a fab cross body is a must-have. Luckily, you can find them at every price point and in a style to fit just about every look, purpose, and attitude. See below for some standout styles.
1. The working girl uses this as her work bag. She hustles through the big city from appointment to appointment, with all of her work necessities neatly tucked inside. The bold size and sleek details mirror a briefcase, so she still fits in at the boardroom meetings. Yet, with a quick tuck of the strap she can head right off to drinks with the girls. Miu Miu, $1650 at Net-a-Porter
2. The girl-on-the-go needs a simple, sleek style that can resist wear and tear. She’s going to class, meeting friends at the mall, attending outdoor concerts and spending time at outdoor cafes with her pup. The leopard nylon is right on trend for Fall and it’s super easy to clean and care for. The price point is just right for the girl who’s just starting out on her own. Longchamp, $240 at Bloomingdales
3. The indie chick is no-fuss but full of style. So is her bag-she uses her messenger as a catch all: for accessories, torn magazine pages she uses for outfit inspiration, a small stash of makeup, and her camera. This bag has to be big, tough, and neutral enough to handle her day to day outfits and adventures as they change. The gray color seamlessly blends with any look she comes up with, while quilted detail and grommets add a little edge so it can keep up with her fierce style. Sara Berman, $275 at the Outnet.com
4. The savvy shopper found this budget friendly beauty. This bag is $90 at original retail and currently on sale, so she has plenty of cash left over to buy some over-the-knee boots! Its size makes it perfect for a long outing, whether it’s shopping or a daytime date. The strap is also convertible so she can carry it as a satchel. This style is simple in its design, but the starkness of the stone color will pop against a Fall wardrobe. Styling tip-remove the metal logo hanging from the strap for a simple chic look that doesn’t scream to everyone where you found your bag. Style & Co., $51.99 at Macy’s
5. The nonstop girl loves her small yet completely accommodating messenger by Marc. It holds all of her necessities like cards, cash, lip gloss and her iPhone with plenty of room for things she picks up along the way: matches from her favorite night spot, her cheat sheet of stores to hit while in SoHo, and perhaps a cocktail napkin or two with a gentleman’s phone number. This bag says that she is stylish but sensible enough not to haul a giant “it” bag everywhere she goes. This style seamlessly accompanies her as she crosses the Brooklyn Bridge, goes to a dive bar to hear live music, or quietly meanders the endless corridors at the Met. Sleek, simple, stylish stowage-she couldn’t ask for anything more. Except maybe a cute MMJ coin purse? Marc by Marc Jacobs $248 at Bergdorf Goodman