I am talented in lots of things. For instance – I’m actually a decent singer – especially in the shower. My crayon drawings have really shown improvement, year over year. My synchronized swimming routine is amazing, and I’m getting so good at it that I’ve been told I’m almost ready to audition for the team here at a local apartment complex. Like I said – I’m skilled at lots of things. However, there is one place where I generally falter and that tends to be in the kitchen. I’m not a cook – not even close.
making s’more muffins today. experimenting.making it up as I go.pray that I don’t blow anything up.
— Erika Lehmann (@ErikaB) August 8, 2012
That’s why I’m especially proud of these Mini S’more Cupcakes that I invented. This is one of the easiest things I’ve ever made – so I wouldn’t doubt if others have attempted this in the past. However my Mini S’more Cupcakes ARE THE BEST. Eat these. Trust me. You won’t be sorry.
Enough of my jibber jabber – let’s dive in. When I got home from vacation last week I had this awesome S’mores Basket from Hershey’s sitting on my front porch. I discovered that they had been sent to all of the Walmart Moms in honor of National S’mores Day – which is today – August 10th! How cool is that?
I decided to be creative and try something new with this kit – instead of making the usual s’mores, I decided to make mini s’more cupcakes. It’s actually really easy – you make it with the same ingredients as S’mores, except you will also need a stick of butter and 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Here is the ingredient list:
- 8 large graham cracker sheets – finely crushed
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 5 full sized Hershey’s Bars
- Large Marshmallows
Easy enough? Now, I’m lazy, so I actually went to the store and purchased Graham cracker crumbs instead of crushing the crackers myself – it was easy, and the box cost me less than $2 at Walmart. While I was at Walmart, I picked up a mini-muffin tray – I decided to make the mini cupcakes instead of the large ones. I’m so glad that I did because these cupcakes are so decadent that a big one would likely make you pass out and fall deep into a diabetic coma.
Yes, they’re that good.
Here is the process for making them.
1. Make your crust. If you’re using graham crackers – crush up 8 of them, add 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar then add your stick of melted butter. Blend together. The mixture should pretty much stick to itself, but still slightly crumbly. If you’re using cracker crumbs like I did, mix 1 and 1/4 cups of the crumbs with 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 1 stick melted butter. Yes, I know the instructions on the box are different. Just ignore those.
2. Put a heaping spoonful of the mixture in each of the muffin tins. Press down as if you are making a pie crust to pack the mixture in firmly. It should fill up about half of the cup.
3. Bake your mini crusts in the oven at 350 for 7-8 minutes.
4. Give the crusts about 2 minutes to cool out of the oven, then start adding your chocolate. Break each square in half, and put 3 halves on top of each crust. Like this:
5. Then, cut the large marshmallows in half (width-wise) and place them firmly on top of the chocolate. (Hint: when you cut them, the inside will be slightly sticky. Place that side down onto the chocolate to make it stay with ease.)
6. Pop them back into the oven for 4 – 5 minutes, until the marshmallows start to swell and brown on the top. That’s when they’re cooked to perfection. Don’t leave your kitchen during this part because you have to pull them out at just the right time – and you will probably just have to eye it.
7. Let them cool for about 5 minutes, then place a full-sized square of Hershey’s bar on top for good measure.
Here’s what the finished product looks like!
They are truly to die for. My fiance’ almost keeled over in pleasure they were so delicious. I immediately packed them up in an airtight container for him to take to work – I have a wedding dress to fit into next month!
I hope you’ll try these – they are so good, and really easy to make. They’d be great at Holiday Parties, or for a kid’s birthday party, too. The perfect sweet treat!
Thank you Hershey’s and Walmart for the opportunity to put my own twist on S’mores! Happy National S’mores Day!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of my role in the Walmart Moms. All opinions are 100% my own.